Not quite sure about how to accomplish human revolution in your own life? Let’s look at what human revolution is, then three steps anyone might take to make it a reality.
We were born to become happy and to help others do the same. If we want to establish absolute happiness in our lives and become a light to other people, we have a big challenge, to overcome our weaknesses. This is the process of doing our human revolution.
What Does Our Target Look Like?
- A way of being where we can do what we need to do with courage
- A solid inner state where the ups and downs of daily life don’t affect us
- To have a compassionate heart.
- To live compassion in action in daily life.
- To manifest the wisdom of a Buddha in any circumstance
- To have the ability to create value out of any situation
- To have the ability to overcome any obstacle
- To become unshakably happy & help others do the same
3 Steps to Realizing our Human Revolution
Step 1: Chant
When we have deep faith in the Mystic Law embodied in our Buddha nature, and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in front of the Gohonzon, our Buddha nature will manifest. Then we will have joy in our hearts and the courage to challenge ourselves. We will also have the deep wisdom to know what to do. This wisdom will show you what actions you should take next to work on your human revolution.
Step 2: Take Action
In order to do our human revolution, chanting alone is not enough. We also must take action to overcome our negativity and weakness. So what might this look like? A few examples:
- Challenge yourself to do something that makes you uncomfortable.
- Make a phone call to connect when you are more comfortable with texting.
- If you tend to be lazy? Get up out of your chair to do something.
- Refuse to dwell in a negative conversation about another person.
- Empathize with the challenges of another person although those challenges might be inconvenient
- Help others
- Work on giving up complaints, even though sorely tempted.
- Do something right away instead of procrastinating.
- Refuse to indulge negative thoughts. Instead focus on how to create value in the situation.
- Set a goal that is a stretch. Chant and then accomplish one action at a time needed to
accomplish that goal. This will help you accomplish your human revolution and expand
As we take these small actions one at a time, persistently working a little each day to improve
ourselves, these small actions lead to big changes over time.
Step 3: Study Buddhist Teachings
Study something from the Buddhist teachings every day. Maybe you won’t understand the ideas
initially but at some point you will have flashes of insight and can grasp them. Study is vitally
important for us to understand what we are doing, the process and where we are going. Even a
paragraph a day from the calendar or an encouragement book will keep you going. There is a
great new booklet out called Introduction to Buddhism which has small easy-to-read articles,
each focusing on one concept. http://bookstore.sgi-usa.org/category_s/12.htm
This booklet is published by the SGI study department. http://margaretblaine.com/about-the-sgi-usa/
If you have been working on your human revolution and have an instance where you did it successfully, please share your experience with us.